Use a Home Herpes Test
Since herpes is a common infection in the United States, it is helpful to know that an at-home herpes test kit is a convenient and accurate way to take control of your health. There are two types of herpes: oral herpes, or Herpes simplex type 1 (HSV-1), and genital herpes, usually known as Herpes simplex type 2 (HSV-2). One out of every six people in the United States who are aged 14 to 49 years old have genital herpes. It can be passed through vaginal, anal, or oral sex with someone who has the disease.
Symptoms of Genital Herpes (HSV-2)
During a genital herpes “outbreak,” the infection can look like blisters or sores that appear in the genital or rectal area. These bumps can easily be mistaken for a blemish or ingrown hair. This means that many people don’t even realize that they are infected. In fact, often no symptoms show at all. The only way to know for sure if you have this sexually transmitted infection is by getting tested.
How To Use a Herpes Test Kit At Home
The process for screening for this infection with an at-home herpes test kit couldn’t be easier. Home testing allows you to skip the inconvenient process of going to the doctor’s office or clinic. Instead, get the very same lab-certified results from the industry sex health experts at myLAB Box.
Here’s how it works:
- Order a home testing kit online. (You even get free shipping!)
- Collect a sample using the easy-to-follow instructions.
- Send the sample off for testing. (More free shipping!)
- Receive your lab-certified results online in just days.
Herpes Home Testing Options
While you’re testing for herpes, why not cover your bases and test for the other most common sexually transmitted infections? By using a panel, you can screen for multiple infections with just one set of samples, and get all of your results at once. There are several testing options for your at-home herpes test kit:
- Uber Box: this 8-panel test kit screens for genital herpes, but also HIV (I & II), Hepatitis C, Herpes Simplex Type II, Syphilis, Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, and Trichomoniasis.
- Love Box: this 8-panel test screens for the same infections that are included with the Uber Box, but includes a second test so that couples can test together.
- Total Box: this comprehensive 14-panel test screens for HIV (I & II), Hepatitis C, Herpes type-II, Syphilis, Chlamydia (genital, throat, + rectal), Gonorrhea (genital, throat, + rectal, Trichomoniasis and Mycoplasma genitalium. Women who are 30 years of age and older can add the option to test for HPV as well.
If you test positive with myLAB Box’s herpes test kit, we will connect you with a free phone consultation with a physician. We should also note that people who test positive for herpes may have additional outbreaks. This especially is why, though herpes cannot be cured, treatment is still very important. Proper medication may lower the frequency of outbreaks, relieve symptoms and shorten the amount of time that an outbreak lasts. This is also why testing should become a regular part of any sexually active person’s routine. Knowing is half the battle, so don’t stress – just test!
Reviewed by Luis Ferdinand M. Papa, MD, MHA