Why the Clap Isn’t as Scary as You Think

Gonorrhea, more commonly referred to as ‘the clap’, is the fourth most common sexually transmitted infection in the U.S. The reason it’s not as scary as you might think is that it’s completely curable when detected early. There are many myths and misconceptions surrounding the clap, so some people are reluctant to even test for it.

However, the CDC reports* that an estimated 700,000 new cases of the clap occur each year in the U.S. Many of these cases go unreported, because in many cases the person who has contracted it shows no symptoms whatsoever. The clap isn’t as scary as you think. You might acquire it and not suffer from any its unpleasant symptoms at all.

Transmission

The clap is spread through oral, vaginal or anal sex with an infected person. This means any unprotected sexual contact with an infected person can transmit the infection.

You can mitigate the risk of transmission with the use of condoms, having a monogamous sexual relationship with one person who is uninfected, or by simply not having sex at all.

Symptoms

While many people who have the clap see no symptoms (which is a great reason to get tested, even if you don’t think you have it), some symptoms may be indicative that it’s time for prompt testing and treatment.

For men, symptoms include a swelling of the urethra that leads to a burning sensation when peeing, and/or discharge from the penis. Sometimes, there may also be some testicular pain and tenderness. Some women might experience swelling of the cervix which can lead to abdominal pain, pain during vaginal intercourse and/or vaginal discharge. In both men and women, when the clap is transmitted anally, itchiness, rectal pain, discharge or minor bleeding may occur.

Check out the myLAB Box complete STD symptoms guide.


Performing oral sex can lead to gonorrhea of the throat. 90% of the time, gonorrhea of the throat has no symptoms whatsoever, and the remaining 10% of the time, it just means you might experience a sore throat.

Testing/Diagnosis

Testing for the clap only requires a simple urine test. myLAB Box at home kits take less than 5 minutes to complete and send off for accurate testing. Testing early and often is the best way to mitigate the risk of any unpleasant symptoms associated with the clap.

Treatment for the clap

The clap is absolutely treatable, and the earlier it’s caught, the faster it can be treated and cured. The recommended treatment is generally a single injection of antibiotics, followed by oral antibiotics taken at home.

The important thing to remember when treating the clap is that you have to be sure to take the antibiotics exactly as the doctor prescribed. If you miss a dose or stop taking it as soon as your symptoms fade, you run the risk of not curing the infection. Symptoms can come back and potentially get worse. In other words, just take your medicine and everything will be back to normal in no time!

Get tested immediately and get results quickly with our gonorrhea home test.

Not that scary now, is it?

For your reference:

*https://www.cdc.gov/std/treatment/2010/gonococcal-infections.htm

Comments are closed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*
*