The Best Way to Take a Genital Herpes Test
As one of the most common sexually transmitted infections, a herpes test is important for every sexually active person to take! Now, herpes is a bit more complicated than other infections. You see, there are actually two strains that we need to consider.
- Oral herpes, or Herpes simplex type 1 (HSV-1)
- Genital herpes, or Herpes simplex type 2 (HSV-2)
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that one-in-six people between the ages of 14 and 49 are infected with herpes. To combat this distressing figure, let’s explore why everyone should take a herpes test. Today, we’ll be focusing specifically on HSV-2, since myLAB Box offers home testing for this infection.
Just the Facts About Genital Herpes (HSV-2)
Genital herpes can be passed through vaginal, anal, or oral sex with another person who is carrying the infection. Typically, during a genital herpes outbreak, the infection may appear to resemble benign blisters or sores. These bumps develop in the genital or rectal area. They can be easily mistaken for blemishes or ingrown hairs.
There are also some symptoms that affect men and women differently. For women, additional signs of genital herpes may include bleeding between periods, pain while urinating, headaches, body aches or flu-like symptoms. Conversely, men may experience swelling or discomfort in the groin nodes.
Of course, these symptoms are also easily mistaken for other ailments. Even worse, an infected person may not experience any visible symptoms at all. This confusion leaves many of us unaware of our status. As you can see, the only way to know your status for sure is with a herpes test.
Time for a Convenient Home Herpes Test (HSV-2)
Within the first year of infection, it is common to experience several HSV-2 outbreaks Whether or not symptoms have been present, serious complications may result if an infection is left untreated.
Fortunately, taking a myLAB Box’s home herpes test is easy!
Here’s how it works:
- Order an HSV-2 home testing kit online. (You even get free shipping!)
- Collect a sample using the easy-to-follow instructions.
- Send the sample off for testing. (More free shipping!)
- Receive your lab-certified results online in just days.
For customers who are looking for more protection, myLAB Box also offers smart combination packages. An at home herpes test kit will handle this single infection. However, for maximum peace of mind, consider one of myLAB Box’s handy multi-panel screening options:
- Uber Box: this 8-panel test kit screens for genital herpes (HSV-2), but also HIV (I & II), Hepatitis C, Syphilis, Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, and Trichomoniasis.
- Love Box: this 8-panel test kit screens for the same infections that are included with the Uber Box, but includes a second test so that couples can test together.
- Total Box: this comprehensive 14-panel test screens for HIV (I & II), Hepatitis C, Herpes type-II (HSV-2), Syphilis, Chlamydia (genital, throat, and rectal), Gonorrhea (genital, throat, and rectal), Trichomoniasis and Mycoplasma genitalium. Women who are 30 years of age and older can add the option to test for HPV as well.
Whether you decide to use a combo test pack or stick to the basic herpes test, you’ll be in good hands. myLAB Box’s home tests provide the same results as the ones you would receive from a clinic or doctor’s office. Plus, testing at home is far less time-consuming. It really is the most convenient way to take total control of your sexual health.